Friday, May 24, 2013

App Store Submission

Now that I'd passed my local testing it was time to submit to the official app store. 

My test/development was an 4-5 year old desktop PC.  Because of the age of the PC and the processor ( Intel Q9330 ) I was not able to emulate an ARM cpu for testing.  I could either choose to deploy on x86, x64 and/or ARM when submitting to the store.  I decided to take the risk and submit to all three even though I didn't have the opportunity to test on ARM.

This ultimately also became a problem as after almost 7 days of processing in the app store my first submission was rejected.  The rejection reason was fairly obtuse and there wasn't much information to be found on it.

At this point I was now almost 2 weeks past my planned deadline.

I made a guess that the reason was that my startup time must have been too slow on the ARM platform ( which I wasn't able to test ).  I did some fairly benign code changes and cut the startup time in half, from roughly 4 seconds on my x86 to 2 seconds.  Was this good enough to pass the tests?

Another 5 days later I found out that it was not.  Rejected again.

Frustrated and feeling like I was missing out on potential sales, I did a radical design change and moved the loading of all of my artwork 20 seconds into the app instead of at the start.  The only problem was that if the user selected a game prior to this timer firing they'd be missing the artwork for the first 20 seconds ( but then have it after ).  I decided this was fine, I just wanted to get approved.

Sure enough, this worked and I was into the store, 2-3 weeks later than I had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment